Monday, May 26, 2008

"The Year of Living Biblically".

I'm sure idle gossipers are wondering what on earth have I been doing with my time in exile. Rest assure I've been filling my days with substantive and meaningful activities. In between long naps, and time between my favorite TV shows, I've kept myself occupied with A.J. Jacobs' (in his own words) "...humble quest to follow the bible as literally as possible...".

That pretty much sums up the entire book, which is essentially a diary of this man's journey through all the laws in the bible, as he attempts to the best of his ability (the part about stoning adulterers is really quite lol-inducing) to obey every single one of them.

I'm tempted, but I shall refrain from saying more lest I taint your perceptions with regards to the book. But if you have the time, and money to spare, do read it! Not because it'll make you pump your fists in the air and resolve to be a better Christian, but because it's really quite funny, and offers a different perspective to the bible that we think we know.

I reckon it makes me appreciate the bible more.


(By the way, in case it's not obvious enough, the title of the book is "The Year of Living Biblically".)


No comments: